Creating and editing documents
You can create or edit documents from the BI launch pad using SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence or Web Intelligence Rich Client, which allows you to work with documents offline without a connection to the corporate repository.
You can base documents on universes, which present data in relational or OLAP datasources as collections of objects, on local data sources such as Microsoft Excel or CSV files, on SAP BEx Queries, or on Advanced Analysis workspaces.
You create a new document, either a blank document, or a document based on a data source.
To open a document in Web Intelligence
You have access to the documents and have the appropriate permissions to open the document.
- Launch Web Intelligence: click Applications > Web Intelligence Application
- Click the Open icon in the toolbar.
The “Choose a document” dialog displays.
- Navigate through the folders to the file you want to open. Select the file, click Open.
The document is opened in Design mode. Depending on your rights, you can work in reading and Design modes.
To delete a document from the repository
You have started the appropriate permissions to delete the file.
- Log into the BI launch pad
- Click the Documents tab to show the documents available in the repository. Navigate to the folder that contains the document you want to delete.
- Navigate to the folder that contains the document you want to delete.
- Right-click the document that you want to delete and click Organize.
- Click Delete.
To send a document by mail
- Select the document you want to send.
- Click Send on the toolbar and select Email.
- Fill in the email information and type a message if required.
- 4. Click Send.
To send a document to another user
- Select the file you want to send.
- Click Send on the toolbar and select BI Inbox.
- Select the users or groups to which you want to send the document from the list of users and groups.
- Click automatically generated to send the document with an automatically-generated name.
- Click Specific name and type the name in the box to send if you want to name the document.
- Click Shortcut to send a shortcut to the document or Copy to send a copy of the document.
- Click Send.
To send a document by FTP
You have a document open in Web Intelligence and you have the required permissions to send files via FTP. If you do not have the permissions, the “Send to FTP” dialog will not display.
You want to transfer the current document via FTP.
- Save the document before sending.
- Click the Mail icon in the toolbar and select Send to Ftp.
- Type the host name in the Host box.
- Type the port in the Port box.
- Type the username and password in the User Name and Password boxes.
- Type the account in the Account box.
- Type the directory in the Directory box.
- Click Automatically generated to send the document with an automatically-generated name.
- Click Specific name and type the name in the box to send if you want to name the document.
10. Click Send.
Managing reports in documents
Each Web Intelligence document contains one or more reports. You can add, delete, duplicate, or change the order of reports.
About saving documents, reports and data in Web Intelligence
You can save Web Intelligence documents in the corporate repository, export them locally, or export the data as CSV format. You can also export reports locally. You can do the following:
- Save a Web Intelligence document in the corporate repository
- Export a document locally as a PDF file
- Export a document locally as an Excel file
- Export a document locally as an Excel 2007 file
- Export a document locally as a Text file
- Export a report locally as a PDF file
- Export a report locally as an Excel file
- Export a report locally as an Excel 2007 file
- Export a report locally as a Text file
- Export data locally in CSV format file
About saving documents to MS Excel
You can select a priority for saving to MS Excel.
- Prioritize the formatting of the documents. Choose this option if you want to display the data in a format that is similar to working in SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence.
- Prioritize easy data processing in Excel. Choose this option if you want to display the data in a text format.
- In the “Header” panel, click Preferences.
- Click Web Intelligence.
- Under “Select a priority for saving to MS Excel”, select the option that best fits your needs:
- Choose Prioritize the formatting of the documents to display the data in a format that is similar to working in Web Intelligence.
- Choose Prioritize easy data processing in Excel to display the data in a text format.
- Click Save and Close.
To save a document in the corporate repository (with the Java interface or Rich Client)
You are using the Java interface to perform this action.
- Click the arrow next to Save on the toolbar in the File tab and select Save As to display the “Save
As” dialog box.
- Select the corporate repository on the left of the dialog box.
- If you are using the desktop interface, you can save to any available corporate repository by selecting My Enterprise on the left of the dialog box, then logging in to the repository.
- Click Folders or Categories to display the repository by folders or by categories.
- In the File Name box, type the name of the document.
- Click Advanced to display additional document options.
The additional options are always displayed in the desktop interface.
- Type a description of the document in the Description box.
- Type keywords that you or other users can use to search for the document in the future in the
- Select Refresh on open to refresh the document each time it is opened.
- Select Permanent regional formatting to preserve the document regional formatting with the document.
- Select Remove document security to remove all document security and make the document accessible in Standalone mode (desktop interface only).
- Select Save for all users to ensure the document is not locked by the current user (desktop interface only).
- Click OK.
If the property Check automatic refresh on open security setting is ENABLED/checked in
CMC/Application/Webi/Properties and in the CMC/Application/user security settings, the security right Disable automatic refresh on open is DISABLED for this user, then even if the document is not set as being Refresh on open, it will still be refreshed on opening.
The document is saved in the corporate repository.
You can also save the documents in any format while working in HTML interface.
Automatic saving and recovery
If autosave is active, and if you have the appropriate security rights, your documents are saved automatically in the My Favorites/ folder as you work. Autosaved document names consist of the document name prefixed by the document ID and followed by the autosaved document ID. If the document ID is -1, the document was not saved before being autosaved.
Web Intelligence Rich Client does not save documents automatically.
The interval at which documents are autosaved is defined in the CMC. This interval is reset each time you save a document manually, and each time a document is saved automatically. The autosaved document is also deleted when you save a document manually.
In addition to regular autosaving, documents are saved when your session times out.
If you lose a document before you can save it, check the folder immediately for the autosaved version. The My Favorites/ folder is not a permanent storage location for autosaved documents.
If your session times out while you are working on a document, your document is saved in the My
Favorites/ folder and displays a dialog box explaining that the session has ended.
You can select Restore on the dialog box, to launch a new session and re-open the autosaved document. The next time you save the document manually, it is saved in its original folder.
If you select Close, you are redirected to the home page of the BI launch pad. The autosaved document is available in the My Favorites/ folder.
It is not always possible to link to the autosaved document after a server timeout or connection loss. In this you do not have the option to restore the autosaved document. You must check the My Favorites/ folder immediately for your autosaved document. Documents are regularly deleted from this folder based on the autosave settings.
Setting document properties
|Title||The name of the document in the BI launch pad. This is displayed above the general properties and cannot be edited.|
|Type||The type of document.|
|Author||The creator of the document.|
|Creation date||The date the document was created.|
|Description||Optional information that describes the document.|
|Keywords||Optional keywords that can be used to search for the document in the BI launch pad.|
|Enhanced viewing||When this option is checked, the appearance of reports is optimized for onscreen viewing.|
|Refresh on Open||Automatically refreshes the results in reports with the latest data from the database each time the document is opened.
Default setting =
When Refresh on open is selected, data tracking does not display the difference between the data prior to the refresh and the data after the refresh. Data after the refresh is treated as new data because the refresh purges the document.
|Permanent regional formatting||Formats the document according to the format locale with which it was saved.|
|Use query drill||Drills in query drill mode.|
|Hide warning icons||Hides warning icons in order to enhance
in chart readability.
|Enable query stripping||Generates queries that only use objects that contribute to the reports in which they are used.
Each time a query is refreshed, non-contributing objects are ignored. Only relevant data is retrieved from the data provider. This feature enhances performance.
|Auto-merge dimensions||Automatically merges dimensions with the same name and from the same universe. You see the merged dimension in the list of available objects with the dimensions merged within it below.
Merged dimensions are the mechanism for synchronizing data from different data providers.
|Extend merged dimension values||Extends values of merged dimensions. Merged dimensions are the mechanism for synchronizing data from different data providers. This controls the results when a table contains synchronized data.
When selected, if a table contains a dimension used in a merge, this dimension returns the value of its query plus the values of the other dimensions merged from other data providers for which there is an object in the table.
When this is not selected, if a table contains a dimension used in a merge, this dimension returns the value of its query.
|Change Default Style (not available in the Web
|You can change the default style for the document when working in the Rich Internet Application interface. You can import a new style or export the current style.|
You can set Web Intelligence to refresh automatically on opening the document without enabling “Refresh on open” in the Document Properties by using the Central Management Console to unselect the security right “Disable Automatic Refresh on Open for all documents”.
To display and set document properties
You have a document opened with the interface in Design mode.
- Click Document on the Properties tab to display the “Document Summary” dialog box.
- View or edit the properties in the dialog box as described above.
- Click OK when you have finished.