This post describes on how to use debugger in Data Services.
Using the interactive debugger
The Designer includes an interactive debugger that allows you to examine and modify data row by row by placing filters and breakpoints on lines in a data flow diagram.
A debug filter functions as a simple query transform with a WHERE clause. Use a filter to reduce a data set in a debug job execution. A breakpoint is the location where a debug job execution pauses and returns control to you.
This exercise demonstrates how to set a breakpoint and view data in debug mode.
To set a breakpoint in a data flow
1. Click the name of the data flow to open its definition.
2. Right-click the line between the source table and the query and click Set Filter/Breakpoint.
3. In the Breakpoint pane, select the Set check box and click OK.
To use the interactive debugger
1. In the project area, right-click on a Job and click Start debug.
If prompted to save your work, click OK.
The “Debug Properties” window opens.
2. Click OK.
3. To process the next row, from the Debug menu click Get Next Row.
The next row replaces the existing row in the right View Data pane. To see all rows, select the All check box.
4. To stop the debug mode, from the Debug menu, click Stop Debug, or click the Stop Debug button on the toolbar.
Note that when you open the interactive debugger, in addition to the View Data panes below the work space, the Designer displays additional panes:
1. View data panes
2. Call Stack pane
3. Trace pane
4. Debug Variables pane
The left View Data pane shows the data in the source table, and the right pane shows one row at a time (the default) that has passed to the query.
To set a breakpoint condition
1.Open the breakpoint dialog box by double-clicking the breakpoint.
2. Click under the Column heading. Click the down arrow to display a drop-down list of columns. Click on a column.
3. Click under the Operator heading. Click the down arrow to display a drop-down list of operators. Click = .
4.Click under the Value heading and type a value.
5. Click OK.
6. Right-click the job name and click Start debug.
The debugger stops after processing the first row with the specified condition, as the right View Data pane shows.
7. To stop the debug mode, from the Debug menu, click Stop Debug, or click the Stop Debug button on the toolbar.
Courtesy: SAP HELP DOCUMENTS ON SAP BusinessObjects Data Services 4.0 (14.0.1). All the images are copyright of the SAP Software.